We are looking forward to connecting with you and learning about ways to improve your hostel business. This schedule is tentative, restaurants, sponsors and speakers are confirming daily!
Monday, January 22, 2018
- 12-3 Early check in at the Notso Hostel - Discount offered for conference attendees!
- 3-3:30 Registration at Pure Theater
- 3:30-4 Welcome, Inside An American Hostel Presentation
- 4-4:30 Attendee Introductions and Connections
- 4:30-5 Changes to the hostel industry- HI standards and new fee structure for 2018. Presentation by Jim Kennet of NW Portland International Hostel
- 5-6:30 Bonfire at Notso Hostel
Tuesday, January 23, 2018
- 9-9:15- Overview of presentations and speaker introductions
- 9:15-10:15- How Airbnb and the short term rental market has changed the hostel industry. Presentation by Jacob Lindsey from the City of Charleston, Director Department of Planning, Preservation and Sustainability.
- 10:15-11- Panel discussion- how have illegal Airbnb rentals affected your business and what can you do to change it?
- 11-11:45-Green business practices & how businesses can change the world with triple bottom line economics and & B corporations. Presentation by Karalee Fallert
- 11:45-1 Lunch provided by Black Bean Co at their restaurant
- 1-145 Using a vision and mission statement to create a solid business foundation
- 145-230 Building a social brand and creating unique marketing campaigns (presentation by Matchstick Social)
- 230-3 How to increase website traffic with great design & heat maps (presentation by Alyssa Graef from Bibliolabs)
- 3-315 Break
- 315-4 Branding, marketing and more.
- 4-445 How technology can improve your business. Presentation by Kevin High of Vroomres
- 5-6PM Cocktail hour at O-Ku hosted by Vroomres
Wednesday, January 23, 2018
- 9-10 Hostel Presentations sharing revenue, expenses, occupancy and more.
- 10-11 Finding & retaining employees that inspire great reviews for your hostel and how to respond to reviews
- 11- 1145 Cleaning systems, and addressing bed bugs, etc (presentation from Terminix)
- 1145-1 Lunch at Monza offering discount
- 1-230 Open forum for planning the next conference, form a working group to discuss forming a trade association or networking group for independent hostels. There will also be an option for a breakout session for hostels to connect over best practices.
- 2:30-3 Closing Remarks